The Three Castles is a landmark historic building in the downtown of Johannesburg. It was the factory for the production of ‘Three Castles’ cigarettes and the building’s facade has become the strong and powerful marketing tool for the brand. Initially, 100 female workers were employed to roll the cigarettes but by the late 1890s, it was taken over by machines. The demand had been so high that at some point the factory was struggling to keep up despite producing over 300,000 cigarettes a day. It started production in 1875 and the opening ceremony was attended by President Kruger.